20.1.07



The reason for this diary, apart from being something we can look back on an enjoy in years to come, is to perhaps help other people in wheelchairs who may be thinking of embarking on a trip such as ours. and would like some first-hand stories and advice. Of course the main piece of advice I can offer is "do it!"


We are a family of four - Donna, Neil (parents), Chelsea (13) and Richie (17). Richie has cerebral palsy which restricts his mobility. He can communicate normally but cannot walk unaided. His chair is a manual one which he can operate, but he usually depended on us during this trip. I do not think anyone could do the things we did by themselves in a wheelchair, for reasons that will become obvious later on.





9th December Brisbane - Singapore


The day I had been planning for two years finally arrives. At around lunch-time, after a couple of calls to Yellow Cabs Brisbane who run maxi-taxis, we set off on our big adventure. (I say a couple of calls, because you are never sure whether the taxi you ring in Brisbane will even turn up. Booking ahead does not guarantee anything - it depends on who is in the area at the time. This can be quite frustrating for someone in a wheelchair - or anyone for that matter).


After checking in and having the mandatory fast food we board the Qantas Airways 747-300 ready for take-off. (I should say at this stage that I booked the flights through Flight Centre because our itinerary was a bit complicated, but I found a cheap round-the-world fare on Bestflights.com which I got them to match. It was a One World fare which stipulated that one leg had to be on Finnair, thus going through Helsinki to London. When you're flying for sqillions of hours another couple don't really make any difference. Everything else to do with the trip I did myself, including the organising of seats on planes. You can do this yourself on-line with some airlines, but I rang Qantas initially to do it. A couple I changed later on-line. We needed seats close to the toilets for Richie for obvious reasons.)


An interesting development as far as wheelchair air travel goes is the fact that you have to give the dimensions of the chair now. They can refuse to take some chairs if they are too big or cannot fold up.


Anyway,everything went according to plan and eight hours later we arrived in Singapore. We were a bit worried about customs and made sure we had prescriptions for all medication (Richie is on an anti-epilepsy drug and I had an emergency supply of sleeping pills!) However our fears were unfounded. It was a breeze.




9 comments:

  1. Thanks for that - it made really interesting reading. What an inspiration for teenagers in wheelchairs!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice one.

    Air travel seems to either go very well or badly wrong for me (a w/chair user of some 30+ yrs) so i'm really pleased you had a great time.

    Where next?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really enjoyed your post. I am planning my own first trip in a couple of months and can not wait to fly. It will be my first time on a plane. Thnx for the advice.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! What a totally inspiring life. Years ago, before I suffered a traumatic brain injury, I travelled the States educating on alcohol awareness to college students. It was truly satisfying.

    Now, after some incredible healing, I am ready to travel again, with a new story.

    I can only imagine how much of a challenge it would be to carry a wheelchair, what with all the obstacles. Good for you. Keep up the inspirational work.

    Don

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is an amazing blog! I work for an agency that supports individuals with intellectual and developmental disabilities in Colorado. I am currently rebuilding our website and would like to post a feed of your blog. Would that be ok?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Mariah. Wow, I'm really chuffed that this is still generating interest! Of course you can post a feed. We continue to travel with Richie, even though he's 26 now. Next stop - Indonesia😊

      Delete
  6. This is an amazing blog! I work for an agency that supports individuals with intellectual and developmental disabilities in Colorado. I am currently rebuilding our website and would like to post a feed of your blog. Would that be ok?

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is very inspiring. Some people think that just because you are in a wheelchair, you are homebound and can't enjoy life. That's not true. As you have demonstrated, those in wheelchairs can and do enjoy life. Why shouldn't they? They should and they do. I think it's wonderful.

    wheelchairlist

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is an informative post. Got a lot of info and details from here. Thank you for sharing this and looking forward to reading more of your post.
    Lightweight Transit Wheelchair

    ReplyDelete